Thank you for being one of our most loyal readers. Please consider supporting community journalism by subscribing.
SMITHFIELD — Filing for the Nov. 5 municipal elections begins at noon Friday. Candidates may register at the Johnston County Board of Elections office, located at 205 S. Second St., Smithfield. Office hours are 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. Filing ends at noon on July 19.
Johnston County Elections Director Leigh Anne Price said turnout for municipal races is historically low unless there’s a highly contested race.
Filing fees are $10 for mayoral candidates and $5 for town council member or town commissioner seats in every Johnston County municipality except Selma and Smithfield. In Selma, mayoral candidates pay $10 and town council candidates $18. In Smithfield, all candidates are assessed a $20 fee.
Here are the seats up for re-election and the current office-holders:
• Mayor Matt Mullholiem
• Councilman Clyde Castleberry
• Councilman J. Mark Jackson
• Councilman Hearbert Locklear
• Mayor Jerry Medlin
• District 1 Commissioner Cassandra P. Strack
• District 2 Commissioner Dan McLamb
• District 3 Commissioner Max Raynor
• Mayor Jody L. McLeod
• Councilman Jason Thompson
• Councilman Robert Satterfield
• Commissioner Carles Surles
• Commissioner Vic Medlin
• Commissioner Andy Hardy
• Mayor Bonnie Williamson
• Councilman Keith Davis
• Councilman Keith Currie
• Councilman Bobby Peele
• Mayor Walter (Jay) Warren Jr.
• Commissioner Russell Creech
• Commissioner Jay Langston
• Commissioner Kevin Worley
• Mayor Jeff Holt
• Commissioner Karen Anderson
• Commissioner Jimmy Garner
• Commissioner Greg Baker
• Commissioner Phil Pittman
• Mayor Donald B. Rains
• Commissioner Walter A. Martin Jr.
• Commissioner Mike Rose
• Commissioner Scottie Brown (filling Larry Withrow’s unexpired term)
• Mayor Cheryl L. Oliver
• Councilman Tommy Holmes
• Councilman Mark Peterson
• Mayor Andy Moore
• Councilman Emery Ashley (not seeking re-election)
• Councilman John A. Dunn
• Councilman Steve Rabil
• Councilman Johnny Eason
• Councilman J.C. Triplett
Whitley Heights Sanitary District
• District Commissioner John McLean
• District Commissioner Eric Henderson